04 January 2013

BACK TO REALITY...BUT...

Luckily, I have a job where I can be creative everyday...I frame other people's art, memories and so on.  I enjoy it thoroughly even though some days have more challenges than others. Today was NOT one of those days. 

I knew it was going to be a busy day, but I didn't realize how AWESOME all my customer's were going to be.  I accomplished a few of my goals in one shift of work!  Amazing what happens when you strive to achieve and change your mindset. 

It started with a small handmade Christmas card...Every year this customer brings in these beautifully designed Christmas cards that her neighbor gives her to have framed.  This one was was an "experiment" the neighbor said.  So the backing colors weren't what they could be...SO...my customer and I decided to change it up and have some FUN with it!  For the FIRST TIME EVER I used a mat with glitter on it!  I know this doesn't sound like a big deal...but I don't usually offer the glittery mats to my customers, but for this one it just seemed to fit!  My boss even complimented me on my choice of "thinking outside of the box" on another order, which was two diplomas, where I used an unusual colored silk mat that just seemed to work.  My creativity was challenged on this one for sure.

Today I also helped a lady design a collage of her precious dog named Henry, who lived to be 16 years old!  I LOVE when people talk about their animals like family.  In conversing, we realized our pets and our lives had some parallels and in the end she thanked me for helping her make it such an easy project when her heart was so sad.  It's these orders with so much heavy sentiment behind them that I live to do.  Projects from the heart.

It was then followed by the most charming and amusing older lady I have met in a long time...she had a HANDMADE doll that one of her relatives had made 100 years ago!  It looked like it hadn't been touched since the day it was made.  We spoke in length about the intricate details of the hand painted face, the sweet attention paid to the little bows tied at the base of the pantaloons, and the amazing colors of the fabric used for the dress.  She was such a hoot to talk to and it reminded me of my Grandmother on my Mom's side.  She made me smile and my heart felt the genuine warmth she gave to everyone in her life and path.  I felt blessed to have helped her with her family heirloom.  We even named the doll Betsy!  But in the end what I found fascinating ...which I believe was one of those messages from the universe...she said she had been taking care of little things she has wanted to do for YEARS in a matter of a few days (framing Betsy for one).  I told her I was on the same type of journey and we both wished one another luck and perseverance.

But the BEST thing that happened all day was my two last customers.  The first lady, who had driven 30 extra minutes to see me, was SO excited about her art that she couldn't stop smiling and saying it.  Her boss had the same print framed just a month ago with me and she liked it so much she would only come to see me, which I have to say I felt so proud after she said that.  As she told me thank you and that her boss was right about me, the customer following her smiled and said, "I am glad to know I am in good hands then!"

I decided with all the praise of the day, which I didn't mind at all and really helped me stay motivated and inspired with each new challenge, that I would do a Random Act of Kindness for the last lady of the day.  It was a "generic order" she said, "but an easy one."  Yes...it was...but unfortunately she was given only one choice of frame and it wasn't on the sale wall, which made her face fall.  When I told her not to worry about the discount that I would take care of her...her face lit up and the biggest smile appeared.  At which she told me she had just made partner at her law firm and this was her gift to herself in recognition of it.  As I LOVE when people achieve a big personal goal such as this... I IMMEDIATELY praised her, high fived her, and told her how proud she should be of herself for such an accomplishment.  You could tell no one had truly rejoiced with her yet...she hadn't even really grasped the AWESOMENESS of the moment until I had made such an enthusiastic proclamation.  Just to see her smile and rejoice through every cell in her body was SO worth making the comment.  I think she floated away on a cloud of happiness as we ended our brief meeting.

So when you question whether to talk to a stranger or even your Mom on her birthday...remember...you might have been the first person to say Hello to them all day;  you might celebrate a monumental moment in someone's life;  you might even make your Mom rejoice just in remembering her special day; or you might get praise and love you didn't even know YOU needed.  So who did you talk to today?

Till next time...be kind to one another.  Be creative and be grateful.  :) 

P.S. Mom...Happy Birthday again!  I love you and wish I could be there to celebrate with a cup of tea and a good movie.  You are my mentor; my friend; and the best Mom a girl could ever have!  xo B

@Copyright 2013 B Godfrey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! :)